The main goal of Security Institutions Capacity Building (SICB) Pillar is to enhance the capacity for forecasting, managing, and preventing contemporary security threats, in addition to help to provide peace and security effectively and efficiently.
It enhances human and institutional capacity for security institutions, through regional and national efforts on:
- Developing of regional legal framework on security institutions capacity building;
- Organizing technical consultative meetings to enhance regional cooperation among parliamentarians, peace and security specialized committees;
- Conducting of needs assessment of security institutions include Judiciary, Police, Military, immigration, customs, intelligence, financial intelligence institutions, civil aviation authorities etc.
- Develop regional security institutions training manuals; leading to specialized training packages;
- Preparing and delivering an IGAD wide joint training program based on the training needs assessment;
- The identification and evolution of a pool of regional experts for use in building capacities;
- Conducting of technical assessments on key thematic areas of human security evolution, Security Sector Reform (SSR) and gender;
- Promote IGAD wide information sharing and regional cooperation